Don't Waste Your Life

Life's a journey - don't forget to unpack.

Where it all meets

Perhaps then, it is at the cross of Christ that we find what we crave for most deeply in this world. Love and sacrifice, justice and mercy, faithfulness and grace. It is at the cross of Christ that all these meet, and if we dig deep enough into the core of our being, we will find that these are the things we will live and die for. - Me

To you, my reader. :)

There, look on me, so that you may not praise me beyond what I am; there, believe me, not others, about myself; there, attend to me and see what I have been in myself, through myself. - St Augustine

Blinding Faith

I heard this beautiful story told by the Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of Commonwealth Nations. Basically, big-shot Jew ok. Let me just say before I type it that I hope you guys will read it in the right light, and not read too much into the story and hence deny it's deep profound meaning about our place in the world.

~~
“DO you believe,” the disciple asked the rabbi, “that God created everything for a purpose?”

“I do,” replied the rabbi.

“Well,” asked the disciple, “why did God create atheists?”

The rabbi paused before giving an answer, and when he spoke his voice was soft and intense. “Sometimes we who believe, believe too much. We see the cruelty, the suffering, the injustice in the world and we say: ‘This is the will of God.’ We accept what we should not accept. That is when God sends us atheists to remind us that what passes for religion is not always religion. Sometimes what we accept in the name of God is what we should be fighting against in the name of God.”

~~
I went online to search for this passage after hearing it on an iTunes U lecture by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks. And of course, as with any other story that has elements of faith and the state of the world, there are many detractors. But to be honest, I don't even think this passage has got to do with religion, which is what many people take offence at. It's not even about Jews, Christians or Muslims, the three great monotheistic faiths.

This is about the place each of us have in the world; atheist, believer or believer of other faiths. It is about those who have hope; hope that is real and not to be discounted, and yet not allowing that hope to numb the pain we feel at seeing the injustices and pains of the world. If faith can change one life, it is natural that that life will cherish the hope that one day his faith will also change another. For the believer, it is his hope because the world is valued to him.

It is a reminder that those who discount the value of faith in this world often do so with good reason, because faith often tolerates that which it should condemn. For the atheist who seethes at injustices, he is a primarily a justice-lover and then an atheist by deduction.

It is an alarm for us ringing in our heads that no matter where we are on the continuum of faith, we have a responsibility towards our fellow human being. And this responsibility is just that; responsibility, not a means to any other end. For the rest of us, wherever we are, may tolerance work both ways, for those with faith and those who profess not to have any.

And let us not forget our brother who needs our hand.

~~
If I could tell the world just one thing
It would be, we're all okay
And not to worry
'Cause worry is wasteful and useless
In times like these

I won't be made useless
Won't be idle with despair
I will gather myself around my faith
For light does the darkness most fear

My hands are small I know
But they're not yours, they are my own
But they're not yours, they are my own
and I am never broken

Poverty stole your golden shoes
But it didn't steal your laughter
And heartache came to visit me
But I knew it wasn't ever after

We'll fight, not out of spite
For someone must stand up for what's right
'Cause where there's a man who has no voice
There ours shall go singing

My hands are small I know
But they're not yours, they are my own
But they're not yours, they are my own
and I am never broken

In the end only kindness matters

- Jewel "Hands"

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    Hey Liren, i like the passage you shared. i so agree with the rabbi the purpose of God creating aetheists. esp this; "Sometimes what we accept in the name of God is what we should be fighting against in the name of God.”

    aetheist or not. christian or not. God created us all.

    this post is a good reminder for me. thanks!

    -serene

Post a Comment