Don't Waste Your Life

Life's a journey - don't forget to unpack.

Where it all meets

Perhaps then, it is at the cross of Christ that we find what we crave for most deeply in this world. Love and sacrifice, justice and mercy, faithfulness and grace. It is at the cross of Christ that all these meet, and if we dig deep enough into the core of our being, we will find that these are the things we will live and die for. - Me

To you, my reader. :)

There, look on me, so that you may not praise me beyond what I am; there, believe me, not others, about myself; there, attend to me and see what I have been in myself, through myself. - St Augustine

pau

I think the Chinese are absolutely brilliant when it comes to food.

Just look at the humble Pau:



I think even our baked version (the buns we find in neighbourhood confectionary shops) aren't rivalled by the best in the West.

Let me give you a few reasons:

1. You can put ANYTHING in a pau. We have bbq pork, stewed pork, chicken, teriyaki chicken, vegetable, red bean paste, lotus paste, corn custard, yam.. u name it.

2. They're handy to eat. The aunty puts them into a paper bag and off you go. You can eat them as you're walking to class or driving to work. Perfect for the busy professional.

3. The hearty portion of bread around the fillings make for the perfect carbohydrate supply for your day.

4. Well, the Angmohs have their equivalent of sandwiches. But in my humble opinion, the humble pau rocks my world more for the following reasons:

a. you do not have random sauces dripping all over you (as any Subway lover would tell you.. not a good place to go on a first date)

b. you do not HAVE to eat a pau with disgusting vegetables like tomatoes that totally destroy the fresh taste of the good ol' meat.if you have a MEAT pau, you have a MEAT pau. If you have a VEGETABLE pau, you have a VEGETABLE pau. Paus are not pretentious, they do not try to be a jack-of-all-trades. Perfect for the discerning eater who knows what he wants.

c. You can eat a pau with ONE hand. Not two. It is IMPOSSIBLE to eat a Subway sandwich with one hand unless one is willing to lose the entire sandwich. Neither can one eat a burger, or a cheesy ham and egg sandwich with one hand, but this is not the case with the mighty pau. In our fast-moving world in which communication is paramount, we always need one hand free for when the handphone rings. Or to type emails. Perfect for the executive lifestyle.

And hence, as you can see, the humble pau is probably the most ingenious culinary invention in the history of mankind.

ALL HAIL THE PAU!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    *bows to the humble pau*indeed u are brilliant O Great Pau

  2. -- J e e L e e -- said...
     

    Q:What do Camels eat?
    A:They eat pau (according to Liren!)

    hehe. :)

Post a Comment